March 27, 2014

10 Things I Hate About You - The Unrequited Love Version, 2014


If you haven't heard of the legendary poem from 10 Things I Hate About You (Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Can't Take My Eyes Off You... Ring a bell?), then you need to watch it. Pronto. It's one of those must-watch cutsey movies of the 90's (with a kick-ass soundtrack) that will have you salivating over Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and maybe even Andrew Keegan.

The original poem went like this:

I hate the way you talk to me, 
and the way you cut your hair.
I hate the way you drive my car, 
I hate it when you stare. 
I hate your big dumb combat boots 
and the way you read my mind. 
I hate you so much it makes me sick,
it even makes me rhyme. 
I hate the way you’re always right, 
I hate it when you lie. 
I hate it when you make me laugh,
even worse when you make me cry. 
I hate it when you’re not around, 
and the fact that you didn’t call. 
But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you, 
not even close…
not even a little bit… 
not even at all.

I wrote my own version, trying to stay as true to the text as possible (the number of syllables and the last word rhyme off the original). It's about a typical girl-next-door today who falls in love with a douchebag who doesn't treat her right and she still wants to save him. And she can't help but love him anyway. Word of warning though, I'm a frustrated poet. I mean, really frustrated. I just wanted to try my hand at writing something different. So here goes:

I hate the way you look at me,
And the way you wax your hair
I hate when you smoke in your car
I hate that you don’t care
I hate the way you call me “Toots,”
And the respect I can’t find
I hate you so much, you make me sick
You never have the time.
I hate that you drink every night
I hate every time you lie
I hate that you’re my better half
But you never really try
I hate that you’re never around
And that you don’t return my calls
But mostly I hate the way I can’t hate you…
Even though we’ve sunk so low
Even though you act like shit
But you still make me fall.

1 comment: